Minutes of Cycleways Monthly Meeting at the Fat Pug – 14th March 2018

Priory Road Infrastructure Changes

Much work appears to have been completed.  Will contact Warwickshire County Council to ask about its plans to enable cyclists to navigate through the existing traffic systems once they have reached either end of Priory Road.


Access to Warwick Parkway Railway Station from Warwick

Will contact Warwickshire County Council to ask about the progress of the conversion of the footpath between Budbrook Industrial Estate and the station into a cycle route.


Warwick Racecourse/Hampton Street

The Jockey Club, the General Manager of Warwick Racecourse and the Chief Executive of Warwick District Council, support the extension of the current racecourse cycle route south-westwards on to Hampton Street.  The work will involve the replacement of woodchip with ‘fibresand’ on the route in front of the grandstand.  The project awaits the confirmation of funding as well as the approval of the British Horseracing Board.  Other details to be confirmed concern the installation of CCTV and the design of the access gates.


Cubbington to Leamington town centre route proposal

Will contact Councillor Sarah Boad to suggest how sections of his proposed cycle route could be implemented ti improve cycle safety and convenience along residential service roads adjacent to main roads.


Peace Festival

To enquire about the cost of a new ‘feather’ flag which includes the new Cycleways logo.  Ideally a new flag would fit the existing flag pole to reduce costs.  The flag could also be used at Cycleways stall at Pump Rooms at the Eco Fun Day on 29th April 2018.




ECO Fun Day (Sunday 29th April 2018)

Cycleways needs volunteers to staff its stall.  It will be open from 11.00 am until 4.00 pm.


Green/Lid Dem motion to be proposed at full County Council meeting of 20th March

Cllr Jonathan Chilvers (Green) and Jenny Fradgley (LibDem) will propose, “That the Council requests that Cabinet develops a strategic, costed three year (2019-2022) cycling plan that supports a network of safe, accessible and direct routes that link places people need to get to, including a prioritised programme of works and setting out the funding implications for the County Council so that this can be considered as part of the 2019-2020 budget refresh of the medium term financial plan.”

Supporters of local cycling provision are asked to congregate at the front of Shire Hall, Warwick between 8.30am and 9am on Tuesday 20th March to try and catch members of the majority Conservative group before they go into their 9am meetings.


Peace Festival

It was suggested that three themes be promoted at the Cycleways stand at the festival on 16th/17th June:  improving air quality; extending the local cycle network; increasing public spending per head on cycling.


Forthcoming editions of the newsletter

The next edition will be distributed electronically.  The columnar format will be changed to make it easier to read on screen.  The following edition will return to paper again so that it can be distributed at the Peace Festival.  The newsletter editor asks for ideas for the next editions.  Please email editor@cycleways.org.uk.  Possible topics could include cycle security, Stage 3 of the Ovo Energy Women’s Tour race which ends at Leamington on 15th June, changes to Priory Road/Butts and proposals to improve cycling infrastructure between Cubbington and Leamington town centre.


Schools Cycle Training

Arranging for the funding of cycle training for children attending Lillington Primary School.


Next meeting

Wednesday 11th April 2018 at the Fat Pug, 23 Guy’s Cliffe Rd, Leamington Spa CV32 5BZ.

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>




This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.