Minutes of the meeting of Cycleways at the Fat Pug 10th January 2018

NW Warwick cycle route. One option is to by-pass the narrow section of Hampton Street, where it passes the Racecourse stand. This could be done by using the existing public footpath that runs inside the grandstand enclosure. Offered to write to the Racecourse to seek their written confirmation that they would be happy with this arrangement.

Kenilworth Community in Action meeting 10th Feb. Will ask if we could attend.

WCC spend of £0.88p per head. Need for our members to ask their County Councillor how much is allocated to be spent on cycling. Will circulate details. It was also felt that this is the sort of item that should come from cyclists across the county. For future reference it would be useful to have the contact details of cycle groups across the countyTo contact Shakespokes, etc. Offered to get an article in the Courier.

County Councillors, Discretionary Fund for minor highway improvements. To circulate details to our members.

Cllr Gifford suggested that for a project such as cycle route marking across Leamington, there could be shared support from himself, Cllrs Davies, Chilvers and Weston. Useful to follow TfLs work in London. When a draft plan of routes is ready, it would be useful to bring it to a Cycleways meeting to check through it.

 K2L and HS2 – Cllr Gifford has had preliminary discussions with county council cycling officer who confirmed that they were checking on the land ownership where the route of K2L is planned. Also they feel it would be best to apply for funding in 3 stages, because of the overall cost. It is worth noting that if WCC or WDC applied for the funds they would have to find 20% of the total cost. Whereas, if a community group applied they could get 100% contribution. That raises the interesting idea of Cycleways applying for the funds and employing its own consulting engineers to build K2L. Food for thought, discuss at our next meeting. Also there are 2 funds from HS2, could double check which one K2L is eligible to.

Newsletter – WDC Councillor Andrew Thompson has sent in his article on air pollution, to do Chairman’s comments, aim to send out end of this month.

Membership cards Agreed to post them out with a welcoming letter.

Cycling UK we all agreed on the renewal of membership for £75.

Eco Day date set for 29th April

Date of Next Meeting 14th February.

 

 

 

Next meeting: Wednesday 14 February (Valentine’s Day!) 2018

The next meeting is:

Wednesday 14 February (Valentine’s Day!) 2018 at 19.30, upstairs at The Fat Pug, Guys Cliffe Road, Leamington Spa, CV32 5BZ.

Next meeting: Wednesday 10 January 2018

The next meeting is:

Wednesday 10 January 2018 at 19.30, upstairs at The Fat Pug, Guys Cliffe Road, Leamington Spa, CV32 5BZ.

Minutes of Cycleways’ meeting 13th December 2017

Items carried forward from the previous meeting 8th November:

A46 Stoneleigh roundabout- The project engineer confirmed that plan for the junction with signal access for NMUs (Non-Motorised Users) still stands, they are unable to make a signal junction of the Gibbet Hill/Dalehouse Lane junction work, i.e. handling peak traffic flows. However, they have gone to an external specialist on NMUs for a second opinion.

Air Quality Report – ongoing discussions between Councillor Andrew Thompson, Conservative WDC, who is on the relevant committee responsible for this. Should be able to report back at our next meeting.

Samur Way,- Discussed the road from the estate cutting across the Myton cycle path with the head from Myton School. His view was that a high quality route should be maintained. Yet another minor road crossing a cycle path. Suggest that we include this item at the next Cycle Forum meeting.

NW Warwick Cycle Route. A good presentation with the large screen.

The scheme should start with a Toucan X to access the route from the Stratford Rd , then where Hampton Street runs in front of the Racecourse, the route should turn into the course and run along in front of the paddock in front of the grandstand re -emerging into the car park in front of Hill Close Gardens. This route is already a right of way for pedestrians and there is adequate room for cyclists. A new access gate is required at the beginning of the route. Action: To write to the Racecourse to get their confirmation of agreement, copy letters to Cllr John Holland.

Kenilworth Community in Action are holding a community meeting 10th Feb 2018, asked if anyone from Cycleways would like to attend.

e-mail from County councillor Jonathan Chilvers asking if we could get our members to write to their respective Conservative County Councillor, will put a list of the councillors out on google-groups.

Councillor Nicola Davies

Following the recent announcement that HS2 Ltd had made a grant of £8m to WCC for community related projects, we had asked Nicola to see if K2L was on the agenda. Nicola had spoken to chief officer in Highways, but little seems to have been seriously considered yet. Suggestion that Warwick Unv should be on board as well.

Nicola then went on to explain the £36000 discretionary small capital projects fund, aimed at road safety improvements. Projects should cost more than £4000, but funds can be rolled over from one year to the next, April 1st – March 31st, thus there is some flexibility.

Nicola will send me a copy of her divisional area, ward, to forward onto our members.

A useful pot of money for modest cycle projects.

Cycle Parking

Ideas put forward where parking stands for bikes should be, for example at the Newbold Common Leisure Centre. Also useful to hear from the Cycle Forum what is planned.

Christmas Quiz – Not held due to lack of time.

Date of next meeting: 10th January 2018

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes of Cycleways’ meeting 8 November 2017 (AGM)

Accounts

Handed out copies of the Receipts and Payments Account for the year 2016-2017, highlighting the ring fenced £2063, £1280 for Leamington and £783 for Kenilworth, grant from WDC for school cycle training. Offered to approach other senior schools to see what interest there could be in cycle training, and a decision, through our councillors, would be made at the next AGM on how to deal with any surplus.

Membership: Currently stands at 66

Election of Officers: There was unanimous support for Tony to be the new Chairman with Peter continuing as the Treasurer. Rodney will be the Secretary, proposed by Tony, seconded by Katharina.

Review of 2016-2017

Many thanks to Flavia for her work on the design of the new Logo. Likewise, many thanks to Sandra for her work on producing the new version of the Newsletter.

This time last year, discussions started with the engineers on the Stanks Island scheme, just north of Warwick where the Birmingham road crosses over the A46. Significant additions for cyclists were obtained:

An off-road cycle path to connect St Michael’s road into the scheme.

A cycle route to Warwick Parkway station via the Budbrook Trading Estate.

These two links will provide a route to the station for people living in the north of Warwick.

Two other improvements were also made, one to the approach to the Toucan Xs, the other to increase the width of the refuges at crossings.

A46 Stoneleigh roundabout. Due to the interventions by Cllr Gifford, and supported by the Portfolio Holder, Cllr Jeff Clarke, WCC engineers agreed to provide a pedestrian/cycle route right through the planned new junction. There are still some other improvements required but these can be followed up with the project engineer.

Good to see Cllr Gifford taking a strong interest in K2L, and the Cycle Forum

This time last year WCC published, Healthy Travel Choices in Warwickshire. A publication that emphasises the health benefits of regular activity, such as cycling to work. It also highlights the hidden costs to the County of the inactivity.

 

 

Looking ahead to 2017-2018

K2L: continue to pursue this through the Warwick District Cycle Forum.

The need for WCC to properly consider the needs of vulnerable user groups in the crossing of side roads. Specifically where off-road cycle paths cross minor roads.

The missing link in Hampton Street in Warwick. Offered to write to the Jockey Club to get a resolution on the use of the internal track running in front of the Grandstand. Following recent note on the subject, Cllr Holland has responded by requesting that the problem of this link is discussed at the next Cycle Forum meeting.

Air Quality: Highlighted the recent article in the Courier, plus the response by a councillor. Will follow this up.

Samure Way. This is designated to provide the road link into the new housing development taking place to the west of Europa, in doing so it will cut through the existing Myton cycle path. Will contact Myton School for action.

Early notice of infrastructure schemes. Amongst all of us it was felt that earlier consultation with WCC would be beneficial. Will invite Cllr Gifford to our next meeting December 13th to discuss, also to identify which other councillors we could regard as allies.